Grind and Seal Polished Concrete in Brisbane and Gold Coast
At MyFloor, grind and seal polished concrete is one of our most popular options. It’s cost-effective, is relatively quick to install, and can work inside and outside. Grind and seal concrete floors are famous in pool areas, art galleries, breweries, and more. To learn if a grind and seal polished concrete is the right option for you, let’s take an in-depth look at the process.
What is Grind and Seal Polished Concrete?
The term grinding and sealing refers to grinding back layers of the concrete and then using a topical sealant or surface coating to provide a polished concrete finish. It differs from mechanically polished concrete in a few key areas. The main difference is the installation process. For one, grinding and sealing systems are far less labor-intensive than polishing concrete.
With mechanical polished concrete, the shine and abrasion resistance come from the concrete itself. We apply chemical hardeners in between layers of polishing. The higher the diamond polishing grit we finish the floor to will depend on the desired level of shine. This process can involve 10 – 15 individual steps and is costly and labor-intensive.
For grind and seal, the shine and durability come from the topical sealant or concrete coating applied at the end of the grinding process. Once we grind back the concrete to expose the level of aggregate you require, patch and repair cracks and holes, carry out a finer grind to smooth the floor, all that is left to do is apply the coating. Grinding and sealing is generally cheaper to do initially and takes far less time than mechanical polished concrete. As a result, it’s a fantastic option if you’re on a budget and don’t have a lot of time to install flooring.
One of the main appeals of a grind and seal polished concrete floor is its versatility. Unlike mechanical polished concrete, grind and seal is popular in both indoor and outdoor areas. That’s because you can add a slip-resistant agent to coating application to create a non slip polished concrete floor. Not only that but grind and seal polished floors have a high stain resistance in comparison to other polished concrete finishes. Grind and seal floors feature a chemically-resistant polyurethane sealer or epoxy coating. You can easily clean away oil, grease, and other liquids that would significantly damage other floors. For more information on all of our polished concrete finishes, check out our Polished Concrete page
- Outdoor pool areas. Thanks to the ability to add slip-resistance, grind and seal systems are great for outside. Unlike honed concrete, you can choose your gloss finish on grind and seal systems. That way, you enjoy shiny, reflective concrete outdoors with no fear of slipping. Also, due to their chemical and liquid resistance, you won’t have to worry about liquids pooling up and damaging the concrete.
- Indoor/outdoor transition areas. A problem customers have with polished concrete is that it’s hard to stay consistent. That’s because polished concrete is reliant upon the profile of the surface. As you may know, no two concrete slabs are the same. As a result, polished concrete floors can look different from internal and external areas. If you’re all about consistency, grind and seal polished concrete is the way to go! You can even keep a consistent look as you transition from inside to outside.
- Offices, homes, and hotels. Grind and seal polished concrete systems work great in all sorts of interior environments. As long as you properly maintain your floors, they can last for decades. A minor drawback is that the topical coating can wear and scratch over time. If your office or warehouse features a ton of traffic, you’ll have to re apply a top coat sealer every few years. If it’s a medium to low traffic area, you’ll only have to re-seal with a top coat every 6-10 years.
When you use MyFloor to install a grind and seal system, you get to make a few decisions. You can choose your level of aggregate exposure, gloss finish, and a non-slip or smooth finish. Let’s take a quick look at each one to understand their differences.
- Aggregate exposure:
- Nil: This means that there is little to no stone exposure at all. The result is a smooth and even surface!
- Medium: There’s a fair bit of stone exposure with a lot of areas showing no stone.
- Full exposure: We grind back the concrete to show as much stone as possible. There still may be areas where no aggregate is showing as this depends on the existing concrete mix.
- Reflection level:
- Matte/flat: The floor appears flat and somewhat hazy and reflective. It’s low maintenance and easy to keep clean.
- Satin finish: The floor has a tiny bit of reflectiveness and shine.
- Semi gloss: There’s a fair bit of light reflectivity and shine. Dust and dirt will begin to show if not adequately maintained.
- High gloss: The highest level of shine that will make your floor seem like glass. A very pristine look but requires regular maintenance to stay clean.
- Final touches:
- Smooth finish: This is ideal for indoor surfaces. It will add an extra layer of sheen and smoothness.
- Non-slip: If your grind and seal system is outdoors, this is a must. It will ensure that your concrete stays shiny without getting slippery when wet!
Where can you install grind and seal polished concrete:
Thanks to the ability to add slip-resistance, grind and seal systems are great for outside. Unlike honed polished concrete, you can choose your gloss finish on grind and seal systems. That way, you enjoy shiny, reflective concrete outdoors with no fear of slipping. Also, due to their chemical and liquid resistance, you won’t have to worry about liquids pooling up and damaging the concrete.
A problem customers have with polished concrete is that it’s hard to stay consistent. That’s because polished concrete is reliant upon the profile of the surface. As you may know, no two concrete slabs are the same. As a result, polished concrete floors can look different from internal and external areas. If you’re all about consistency, grind and seal polished concrete is the way to go! You can even keep a consistent look as you transition from inside to outside.
Grind and seal polished concrete systems work great in all sorts of interior environments. As long as you properly maintain your floors, they can last for decades. A minor drawback is that the topical coating can wear and scratch over time. If your office or warehouse features a ton of traffic, you’ll have to re apply a top coat sealer every few years. If it’s a medium to low traffic area, you’ll only have to re-seal with a top coat every 6-10 years.
It takes roughly 14 to 28 days for concrete to cure to sufficient hardness. From there, we are to start the grind and seal process. Bear in mind that we can grind and seal any structurally sound existing concrete floor at any stage!
Sure, so long as there’s existing concrete underneath. If you’re tired of your old carpet or timber floorboards, we can use our specialist floor removal process to reveal the underlying concrete. From there, it’s just like grinding and sealing any other concrete surface.
Absolutely, if you want any of the benefits of a polished concrete floor! You see, without the concrete coating, ground concrete is still quite vulnerable to spills. Unsealed concrete can also create small amounts of dust which abrades of the surface. To enjoy the shine, durability, and chemical resistance, you need to apply a coating to your concrete floor.
While they look very similar, there are many differences. The main one is that MPC (mechanically polished concrete) provides a hardened, smooth, polished surface without the application of film coat sealers. Grind and seal polished concrete has a film coat sealer installed over the surface to provide the shine.
Sure! The level of aggregate exposure is all about customer preference. You can select from nil, medium, or full stone exposure. At My Floor, we give our customers full reign over the amount of exposure they desire. Even Burnished Polished Concrete is a perfect solution where no stone exposure is required.
Great question! There are many reasons why MyFloor is the absolute best when it comes to polished concrete in Australia. Here are a few reasons:
- We offer free estimates for new projects
- You enjoy an extensive warranty
- We NEVER use any sub-contractors
- We put the needs of our customers first and foremost
- Our prices are affordable, and the level of service you get is second to none
- Much more!
In short, we’re your #1 option for polished concrete floors in Brisbane, Gold Coast, and beyond. Please don’t wait to reach out to us today by calling 1300 693 566 to consult with one of our experts today!
Top 10 reasons to choose My Floor
Floor solutions are delicate processes that take professionals to do correctly. That’s why you need to hire our team at My Floor. We’re by far the most experienced and reputable floor solution company in Queensland. You’ll be in great hands when you choose us, and there are many reasons why. Here are the top factors why we’re the best concrete polishing company out there today:
14 years in the business
My Floor is here for the long-term. We got started in 2009, and we’re not going anywhere anytime soon. In fact, we continue to grow and expand each year that we’ve been in business. Our longevity is due to our expertise and excellent service. We have superior product knowledge, and we’ve even crafted our own signature flooring solutions. Our team members have also mastered the art of problem-solving on the fly. As a result, we’re able to handle any issue that we encounter with total ease.
Small enough to care, large enough to deliver
We have a total of 8 team members at our company. To us, it’s the perfect sweet spot for us and our customers. We’re small enough to give a very personal touch while large enough to tackle giant projects. Our team can handle tasks that range in size from 20m2 to 20000m2. We provide commercial, residential, and industrial services, all with equal quality and dedication.
Stellar Google reviews
All it takes is one quick internet search to realize how great of a reputation we have. Currently, My Floor boasts almost 100 reviews with a 4.8 average score. All our reviews are candid and totally authentic. We believe our reviews speak for themselves, so don’t be shy about checking them out!
We add value with no complications
Whether our flooring solutions are for your business or home, we add serious value to our clients. Our polished concrete will save you money on electricity and energy, as well as add value to your home. For industrial environments, our no-slip coatings will keep your employees safe and protected. We’re in the business of adding value without complicating matters. The same can’t be said for our competitors!
Most of the companies that you’ll find in Queensland are not certified. At My Floor, we boast our QBCC license, which allows us to carry out concrete coatings and polishing. It’s another mark of our professionalism and expertise.
Ongoing support for our clients
Our services don’t end when we finish with your flooring solution. We’ll educate you on adequately maintaining your floor, and we can perform minor repairs and fixes for you. We value you as our client, and it’s our goal to secure your long-term business. That’s why we won’t hesitate to go above and beyond for you.
Professional team support
We boast incredible attention to detail in our services. We also keep an open line of communication with our team and clients. You’ll always be able to get a hold of us if you have any questions or concerns.
We have rigorous measures in place to ensure our quality stays the same every time. Our project managers mean business, and they check up on all our job sites. They’ll also keep in touch with you to ensure your satisfaction during the entire process.
We’ll consult with you in great detail on what you want out of your flooring solutions. That way, you’ll have complete control over how your flooring installation goes.
Specialists will provide you with extra knowledge
We’ve been in business for 14 years, and we’ve accrued tons of knowledge during that time. Educating our clients is also a big part of what we do, so don’t be shy about asking questions!